Social Action (B’Yadeynu) Committee
Social Action/B’Yadeynu (in our hands) Committee reaches out to groups in need on local, national and international levels. B’Yadeynu often partners with other synagogue and nonprofit agencies, giving members the opportunity to bring forward their own ideas and chair projects based on personal interests.
Examples of annual and ongoing B’Yadeynu projects include:
- Collections for: Foodshare, The Anja Rosenberg Kosher Food Pantry, and West Hartford Food Pantry.
- Annual Blood Drive: American Red Cross
- Lillian Harris Thanksgiving Turkey Drive
- Holiday gift distribution to Jewish soldiers overseas.
- Hebrew Home monthly Friday night Shabbat services.
- Partnering with JFACT to plan the State Capitol’s annual Interfaith Hunger Seder
- Passover fund Donation distribution
- Education to raise awareness for both local and global situations such as the Yazidi genocide project Click for information
B’Yadeynu is represented on the Social Justice Task Force, Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC) of the Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford, and actively connects with other social action committees in our community. We welcome you to join us! CONTACT Risa Davidson, (860) 236-1275 at: email@example.com and Janet Wallans firstname.lastname@example.org
Caring (Chesed) Committee
While B’Yadenu reaches out to the Jewish Community, Chesed Committee focuses internally on our Emanuel Synagogue congregants, offering help and support. Among the services Chesed provides are:
- Hanukkah, Purim and High Holiday baskets to college students and those who cannot get to synagogue to join us.
- Provide soup and challah for bereaved families
- Drop off food for families needing support during illness or other difficulties
- Cards/calls to our members
- Rides to Emanuel events and services
Please help Chesed fulfill its mission by letting us know who may need help, and volunteer help us serve each other. Please contact Ken Malley at 860-209-0674 or Linda Asmar at 860-206-0941
Monthly Shabbat Services Emanuel Services return to Hebrew Health. Monthly Friday afternoon services are led by Emanuel Synagogue members, and help is needed to ensure a quorum is in attendance. Also seeking volunteers interested to occasionally lead the service.
- Now – June 2019 (see dates below)
- 3:15-4:15 pm
- Third Friday per month (except in April*)
- Held at: The Hebrew Center for Health & Rehabilitation (formerly The Hebrew Home and Hospital), 1 Abrahms Boulevard, West Hartford, Connecticut 06117
Remaining 2019 dates: March 15, April 12*, May 17, June 21; please contact Pam Garry for more details
Lotsa Helping Hands is an online tool to create a team of volunteers to aid the The Emanuel Chesed Committee and our B’Yadeynu Committee with their efforts. Click to join our Lotsa team.