At The Emanuel Synagogue, our students learn how to apply Torah in today’s world and feel at ease in any synagogue environment.
We teach Judaism’s philosophy of love and respect for the world through Tikun Olam (repairing the world), by aiming to leave it a better place. Through social justice projects, environmental programs, and a fostering of general respect for other living things our Religious School families learn to incorporate Tikun Olam values into every day life.
We use a hands-on, experiential approach to all learning styles in order to bring Judaism to life with fun programs like “The Haunted Shul” and “Purim-palooza.”
We are committed to providing a Jewish education for all children, with all kinds of needs.
A Resource Room teacher and one on one para-professionals are available for assistance including enrichment and ongoing help. Parents work with our Director of Youth and Family Learning to create a plan so that every child in our program can be successful.
Our goal is to foster a love of Judaism and the desire to lead a Jewish life.
- 1st grade: learn to identify Hebrew letters and sounds, so as to be able to sing along to most t’filot. Students participate in a “trip” to Israel.
- 2nd grade: learn to read simple words in Hebrew and be able to retell many Torah stories.
- 3rd grade: begin to lead T’filah; students receive their own siddur, and will be able to read sentences in Hebrew.
- 4th grade: begin to learn about past and present Jewish heroes. By year end, students can lead ashrei.
- 5th grade: begin to learn Torah trope and are able to read a few sentences from Torah by year end.
- 6th grade: begin to learn haftarah trope and plan a “trip” to Israel for our youngest grade.
- 7th grade: focus on the Holocaust and Tikun Olam.
Hebrew Through Movement (HTM)
HTM is a language acquisition strategy in which students learn Hebrew by hearing and responding to Hebrew commands as early as Kindergarten. This program is taught completely in Hebrew and introduces it in a playful and meaningful way. HTM provides an aural foundation for Hebrew that opens the door to more facile Hebrew decoding and reading. As they progress through the program, the students take on the role of teacher and give instruction to their peers.
For more information contact Barbara Fink: firstname.lastname@example.org or Gail Mackey: email@example.com.
To the Mitzvah… and Beyond Family Series.
To the Mitzvah.. and Beyond is a program that prepares our b’nai mitzvah students and their families for their Bar/Bat Mitzvah- and beyond. The program helps put the Mitzvah in Bar/Bat Mitzvah.
Additional opportunities include:
- Teen Aide Madrichim program (application below) to participate, Teen Aids MUST be enrolled in JTConnect or Hebrew High School
- Monthly Family Education and religious programs for both parents and children.
Jewish Day School families are encouraged to be part of all our family programs Contact our Director of Youth and Family Learning for more details.